"Bachelor of Arts? Ew, No."
This story starts when I was eating with two friends last week, when our other friend sees us from the table next to us. Upon closer inspection, we notice that he is with his girlfriend and they are also eating lunch. It’s slightly awkward but my friend is trying real hard to make a conversation and I admire his efforts. He says to me, “hey, my girlfriend does Media as well!” and I am excited at the prospect of another Asian (there are like none okay) studying Arts so I ask, “Oh, you do Arts too?!”
This is the bit of the story which makes me real puzzled.
She says, “ew, no” and makes a face similar to a child who has just taken a bite into food they despise. My friend explains that she does it as a breadth only.
I can see the shock register in my face from the reflection of her big, brown eyes. I politely excuse myself and turn back to my food, I chew but don’t really, taste whatever the hell I was eating.
Later on, we discuss (not bitch okay, “discuss”) the remark made by my friend’s girlfriend. I wasn’t angry, but genuinely curious as to why she would of have said something like that. Maybe she didn’t know I did Arts? I don’t think the remark was meant to personally offend me, but nevertheless, I had a weird aftertaste in my mouth. My friends laughed it off as a general comment “well of course, it’s Arts.. .. look at the internet, there are memes posted about it all the time”.
I guess after that, I was actually genuinely upset. So is this what you guys have been thinking about the course I study ever so passionately?
I’m making this post because I have been pondering, about my study in the Bachelor of Arts and about my future… I was apprehensive to make this post but I really want to prove a point. Arts are important, just as much as any other fucking degree.
How many times a day do you encounter or use the service of someone who has studied Arts?
A big part of your lives, if you haven’t realised, revolve around these people.
Arts is as broad as the sun. I’m speaking on behalf of someone who is studying towards a Bachelor of Arts degree, not Fine Arts. (They’re both awesome, but very different.) The tv shows you watch, could have been produced by someone with an Arts degree. The news reporter you tune in to every night may have studied Journalism. That newspaper or magazine you’ve read countless times, maybe Media. You probably get my point but…
Let’s talk about teaching. Your teachers, your lecturers, your professors, these people have shaped your entire education and more than half of your lives, they are the reason you have knowledge. They (hopefully) graduated with an Arts or Teaching degree.
Arts is the home of people that no doubt have some of the most creative and open-minded minds out there.
We are the lawyers, the project managers, the social workers, the museum directors, the editors, the creative directors, the psychologists, the managers, the teachers and lecturers etc and some of you fail to realise have this very “ew, no” Arts degree but heavily influence your world.
So don’t give me that “ew, no” when these people have shaped your past, are shaping your present and will shape your future.
I am by no means saying an Arts degree is better than any other degree. Throughout your life you will hear positive and negative comments, good and bad advice and true or false statistics regarding ANY degree/career choice, not just Arts. Take everything with a grain of salt. It would be fucking stupid to decide your career and study choice based on the opinion of “some people you know”.
Even though my essay seems “angry” it’s really not, I can understand why some people would have these kinds of thoughts or biases about an Arts degree. I’m just saying that before you judge something, you should at least understand a little bit about it.
Also, it is important to make sure that the person you’re talking to isn’t studying something you’re about to offend.
my life is a cycle
- ugh don’t touch me
- pls be my friend pls
Honestly, it’s not hard to keep in touch with people. Don’t play the “I’ve been really busy” card because we all know you haven’t. These are not excuses but rather, a feeble attempt to cover up the truth. You don’t care enough. It doesn’t take more than a minute to send someone a message or to pick up the phone and dial a number. Do it now. We try to blame loss of contact on so many things, but we should really just blame ourselves.
I am probably going to get fired after posting this but I don’t care I’M SICK OF PEOPLE NOT KNOWING HOW TO ORDER AT MACCAS I COULD SAVE YOU A FEW DOLLARS AND YOUR SOUL JUST LISTEN
1. If your store has it, order the $5 special meal deal instead of the (medium) cheese burger meal. Seriously. A medium cheese burger meal is $5.10, the $5 meal deal is a medium cheese burger meal plus you get an apple pie. So essentially, yes, you get an apple pie and it’s 10 cents less. (I actually suggested this to people until I got told off by my manager for making them lose money.)
2. Get the Mcdouble ($2) instead of a cheeseburger ($2.30). You save 30 cents and you get an extra beef patty.
3. It’s cheaper to order 2 lots of 3 chicken nuggets than a pack of 6 nuggets. Except you can’t get 3 nuggets in a meal. Same with the Mcbites. Don’t order 20 Mcbites, order 2 lots of 10 Mcbites.
4. If you’re 60+ or have aged gracefully just ask for a senior hot drink or senior soft drink, in some stores we’ll give it to you free or ask you purchase something so you can get it for free. The cheapest thing we have is a cone for 30 cents or apple pies for $1. Just buy that so you can get that coffee or tea ($2.30+) for free. Lots of old people don’t know.
4.5 Get a student edge card if you’re really into soft drinks.
5. You can buy a 30 cent cone and get $1 cash out. There is no minimum for cash out as far as I know. The max is $100 though.
6. Water is free. Don’t buy water.. ever. You can get up to 4 small cups of free water. So is Jam before 10.30. So is ketchup. So is milk. So are napkins. So is salt and pepper and sugar. So are straws. Go crazy.
7. From 12-2pm, you can get cheaper lunch deals if you have a lunch time deal card. I don’t know where you get the card though. I’m so helpful.
8. You can still get the loose change menu (after 10.30). Some Mcdonald’s just hide the board because they want people to buy more expensive things.
9. Get shit in meals. Don’t try and be smart and order a burger and medium fries and a small drink. Most of the time it is literally cheaper to put it in a (medium) meal. Stop trying to choose your own adventure. I’m your server and god almighty. I’m here trying to help you to save a few bucks.
10. Get your drinks without ice so you can get more actual drink and not a titanic iceberg amount of ice. The drink comes out chilled anyway. Also, if you feel like you didn’t get your cup’s worth just tell us when we hand you the drink. No shame.
11. Ask for things how you like it. (Just be nice about it) You are allowed! Fries without salt? Go! Fresh fries? Go! Fresh nuggets? Go! Extra pickles and ketchup and mustard? Go! Sure, it’s annoying as hell for us but you’re a customer and our main priority is to make you guys happy (and we can’t really say no and we certainly can’t spit in your food) so go nuts.
12. If you’re trying to lose weight don’t get a diet coke or coke zero. (OMG WHAT?!) It doesn’t make a difference dude. (NO WAY?!) Here’s a mind blowing life hack that nearly nobody knows: Don’t eat fast food if you are trying to lose weight. (Yes, dietitians HATE me)
Lastly, this isn’t really a tip but seriously, be nice to the people that handle your food, hell, just be nice to people in general. We serve hundreds of people a day. Some are grumpy as fuck. You may hate our food and our company, but we’re just employees, trying to make a living, like you are. If you have a minor problem like you didn’t get something or you want more fries, just tell us nicely and we’ll fix it for you straight away and you can go on your merry way. If you have a major problem like you think something is too expensive or that you can’t believe we don’t sell sushi yet, don’t bitch to us. Not only do we probably not give a shit but we really can’t do anything about it. Email head office or write to a current affairs, don’t yell at the trainee at the counter who just started working yesterday. It’s not going to solve the problem, instead, you’re going to risk looking like a massive douche AND you’re going to make someone’s day miserable and sometimes it really sucks. I mean, we get used to it over time, no doubt, but it still inevitably, sucks.
… Seriously, here’s a straw… NOW SUCK IT UP.
(Also, we’ll bitch about you once you leave and we WILL remember you next time.)
“It is beautiful
how absolutely nothing
will last forever.”
My best friend: well everyone is a little bit weird inside, but you voice all your weird thoughts out loud… and also go that little bit further…
It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything of substantial value and I am sorry. I am attempting to balance my life between family, school, work and friends, which often leaves no time for daily reflection.
On the weekend I served a customer who had a European accent, she apologised and said, “sorry, my English is very bad” before ordering. Even though her English was slightly accented it was by no means bad at all and I only had to get her to repeat herself once. At the end she seemed embarrassed and apologised once again. I placed her order into the computer, looked her in the eyes and said, "here’s you order number, please wait to your right, but before you leave, please know this, your English is not bad at all, it is actually really good and I can understand you perfectly, so don’t think otherwise. I hope you have a wonderful day."
She thanked me profusely and left. I could tell she was an immigrant, just like my parents were. I proudly live in Australia because my parents knew nearly no English but were brave enough to venture here, for a better life for me. They built their English skills through daily practice and interaction with strangers who were nothing but patient and kind.
The least I could do was show the same courtesy to a stranger, too.
So yesterday one of my best friends asked me to be the “runner” for their group for some competition
i got super excited because i thought he was asking me to be in his group
but then he went on and explained that all the “runner” has to do is run and get the questions for the group but they’re not allowed to participate in the actual tournament
and since i’m like the only one that does “arts” I should be good at running and dancing and stuff so I should be their runner
i was like FUCK OFF DUDE
ONE OF MY OTHER FRIENDS IN ANOTHER GROUP MESSAGED ME ASKING ME TO BE THE 5TH PERSON IN THEIR GROUP
AND I WAS LIKE FUCK OFF I WON’T BE YOUR RUNNER FOR YOUR SHITTY COMPETITION
and he was like “no it’s called the resistance and why would i make you run you’re too slow”
and then i was like really
and then he was like
please be our resistance runner we really need it
FUCK YOU ALL
I’M SICK OF YOUR SHIT GUYS
i do arts BUT I’M NOT YOUR COMMERCE CORPORATE WANKER’S SLAVE
I DO ARTS
ARTS AS IN ARTS MEDIA
not FINE ARTS
so I DON’T SING, DANCE OR ACT AS MY MAJOR
i hate you all xx
It’s been more than 4 years since the start of this blog, “paperhentai”, and I have gained much knowledge through the interaction with my followers and some now, friends. But lately, especially this year with the start of my first year of university, I have neglected this space in which I used to often frequent. I thought that as time passed I would come back and continue to write as often as I once did, but alas, this feeling never came back.
So now I don’t know, I have loved and I still love this blog for shaping the majority of my teenage years but I don’t know if this is the end or the start of something new. I don’t want to throw this away because I know my past self would never forgive me if I did but I don’t know what to do with this part of me.
So to all 1,449 of you (the number is only decreasing now so I must say this while I can) hello, hello and goodbye.
Do not leave a 2,000 word essay until the night before. Bad experience. Minus 3 stars. 10/10 would not recommend.
When you think about it, essays aren’t that hard.
An essay consists of 5 parts.
Introduction, 3 bodies and a conclusion.
Introduction: repeat essay question
body 1: argue a bit
body 2: argue a bit more
body 3: argue a bit more ffs
conclusion: sum up your argues
it’s so simple
you can do this ya little shit
2,000 word essay due tomorrow
you can do it you little bitch
grow a pair
love future me in 10 years
p.s. sorry it’s hard getting the foreign maid to type all this while i’m by the pool sunbathing and i can’t see the screen over my 5,000$ sunglasses and wine glass oh oops just dropped a $100 note i guess i’ll just leave it there
I hate my hands
I have the sweatiest hands in human history like as I type this they are clamming up. So pretty much I’ve learnt to live with it by not holding hands with people and just avoid touching surfaces in general so I don’t make a print.
Well today in choir class the teacher made us turn to the person next to us and clap their hands to the beat of the music.
I like refused to do it and just awkwardly used like the other side of my hand/clenched my hands in a fist for like 3 minutes whilst this exercise went on.
My partner was some guy and now he most likely thinks I’m retarded. Well I guess he ain’t wrong but still… WHY WOULD YOU MAKE YOUR STUDENTS TOUCH EACH OTHER?!?! I WAS PERFECTLY FINE CLAPPING WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS OMG
SERIOUSLY AND WHY WAS ONLY I CURSED WITH SWEATY HANDS?!?! DID I RAID A VILLAGE IN MY PAST LIFE OR SOMETHING?!?!
I WISH I WAS A FISH SO I DIDN’T HAVE TO LIVE WITH SWEATY HANDS I’D JUST HAVE WET FINS OR SOMETHING GOOD GRIEF
AND IT’S BEEN SUPER LONG SINCE I WROTE ANYTHING ON MY BLOG AND I BET PEOPLE THOUGHT I GOT A LIFE AND SOME FRIENDS BUT NOPE, HANDS RUINED EVERYTHING
xoxo paperhentai typing from a damp keyboard and foggy phone screen
Me to grandchildren: and here is an album of selfies I took when I was 18.